In years past, I have mostly used the method of a pocket chart for my attendance and lunch choice. Although this idea has been great and easy for the kids to do, it takes up a LOT of space in my classroom! I wanted to find a way to better utilize those big spaces and to shrink my attendance chart in some way. I decided on using a skinny wall space near my classroom door that would be hard to use otherwise. I started thinking of things that could fit into such a small space and I came up with a cookie sheet! I looked up some ideas and liked many of them, but wanted to put my own spin on it.
I needed to find some cookie sheets for my magnetic letter activities during guided reading as well as for this project and found some on sale at Kroger if you use your Plus Card (only $2 each!!). I decided to use a 10x15in sheet for this particular project. I wanted to limit the chart to one cookie sheet given my limited space, so I opted to get something a little longer than the standard 9x13.
I thought about using contact paper to cover my cookie sheet, but realized quickly that it would be a real hassle to get around all of those curves and edges. Instead, I used Scotch Expressions Washi Tape that you can find in most places, but I got mine at Staples. I used the tape to divide the sheet into thirds. A tip - make sure you measure the sheet after you've lined the sides with tape (after I outlined my sheet with the Washi tape, I had about 8 inches left of usable space). I also got two different types of tape and layered them to add a more textured effect to the chart. Also, I couldn't originally decide which tape I wanted so used both! It turned out nicely because the tape is slightly transparent so with only one layer, it was still a little darker than I wanted. With mixing the two patterns/colors, it made the border more interesting!
After outlining and dividing the entire cookie sheet, I wanted to cover up the tabs at the top and bottom so that it looked a little more finished. I have a ton of leftover chalkboard tape from several organizing and crafting projects, so I decided to use that. I found this tape at Target in the scrapbook and craft aisle. I have found dozens of uses for it, including my DIY library divider project. Since the tabs are a tricky shape, I included some step by step pictures below so that you can see how I tackled the small, curved space.
After these steps, I labeled each tab with a Permanent Chalk Marker. I used the chalkboard tape and marker to label each section of my divided cookie sheet as well. The last step was to label my magnets.
Always looking for a bargain (as I know we all are), I found these magnets at Staples and for 24 magnets a pack, they're pretty cheap! I decided to label these with a black permanent marker - if the writing doesn't stay, I plan on sealing the magnets with clear nail polish. We'll see how long they last as is! I use numbers to label my chart so that I can reuse the magnets year after year. After all these steps, I ended up with my finished product!
I plan on tacking down the corners of the tape with some hot glue to ensure that little fingers can't easily peel it up. I'm hoping that this will be an quick, easy and independent check in process for my students. Hopefully you find this helpful and can put your own spin on the idea to make it fit in your own classroom!